Dress for Wedding made from a homemade pattern

Hello 🙂

I have been trying to blog about this dress now for a few weeks but just haven’t had time or the right words in my head.  I’m not a natural writer and find blogging a little tough but I’m getting there!

So…the story goes…a friend of mine from work was getting married and I decided to make a dress to wear to the wedding.  I had some polyester satin which I bought from the local market a while back that would be perfect for a lovely summers day wedding.

LouWeezCreates.co.uk

Polyester Satin bought from local market

Up until now I have been using shop bought patterns and had been having quite a few issues in getting the bodice to fit me.  This has always been my downfall and enough was enough.  I decided to take this matter into my own hands and find a fix.  So my solution to this problem was to make my own bodice block with my body measurements which I did following along to a craftsy class ‘The Bodice Sloper’.

LouWeezCreates.co.uk

Suzy Furrer is a great teacher and I found her class easy to follow.  I had to invest in a few new rulers as mine were in cm and I needed inches to work through the class with her.

LouWeezCreates.co.uk

My sewing/creative desk

After putting all my measurements on to a large piece of paper I then (using Suzy’s guidance) cut the ‘Moulage’ out of fabric to check the fit which should be skin tight with no ease.  You add the ease in later when it becomes a ‘sloper’.

LouWeezCreates.co.uk

Creating my ‘Moulage’ cut with princess seams

So here’s my Moulage on my dress form. I had to amend the arm and shoulders slightly (mainly due to an incorrect measurement taken at the start).  Other than that the fit was perfect!  Very impressed and proud of my achievement.

LouWeezCreates.co.uk

Top two pictures are my ‘Moulage’ The bottom two are of my pattern creating stage

So I had my Moulage, I then added ease to make my ‘Sloper’ or ‘Block’ as we call it here in the UK.  I got straight to work in copying the block on to my Wilko paper and starting amending the darts and neck lines 🙂

louweezcreates.co.uk

louweezcreates.co.uk

My goodness!!! Poly Satin is tough to work with! I decided on a boat neckline with a ‘v’ shaped back.  I also lined the bodice with white taffeta.

LouWeezCreates.co.uk

Bodice creation stage (pinned back)

I added box pleats to the skirt part and slightly sewed down the line do give a different effect (not sure what this technique is called…please comment if you know – ta’)

Yes working with slippery fabric is pretty tough going but putting the invisible zip in after is even harder!! I had to sew the zip in twice 😐

I made a bow belt from a pattern in Tilly’s book Love at First Stitch: Demystifying Dressmaking. I love this book and plan to make the Lilou dress soon!

My finished dress…I love it!! It was well worth the effort and it fits beautifully! YAY!

LouWeezCreates.co.uk

My dress made for a wedding using a pattern which I created myself 🙂

Here are some links to a few tools I ordered and used when making this pattern:

I used this one ALOT! HAND Multi -Purpose Fashion Scales

Sew Easy Soft Grip Tailors Awl

French Curves

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Dress for Wedding made from a homemade pattern

  1. Wow, you really achieved a great fit! I bought the classes but still need to find the time to actually do all the drafting, it’s motivating to see someone else have such success with it.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s