I have an all time favourite skirt that I would to reproduce in different materials. It’s a skater skirt and ‘should’ (she says) be easy enough to recreate!
So here’s how I went about attempting this:
1) I laid the skirt down flat on to some kiddie craft paper. I then took my pattern tracer wheel and ran that along the seams. This made a dotted mark along the paper.
2) Using my pattern making ruler and grader’s set square I straightened the lines and made the curves better (not sure how else to word that). The front part to my pattern I folded it in half to make sure it was using the centre front as the fold line.
3) I drew the straight grain parallel to the centre front line and centre back seams. I found the straight grain for the side pattern pieces by folding them in half and drawing the straight grain along that folded line.
4) I then placed the back part of the skirt down and traced those seams, but I found with this particular skirt that it was the same as the front but with a seam where the centre front is which is where the zip would go.
5) I then added a 1cm seam allowance round all seams apart from the centre back (zip seam) and hem. I allowed a 2cm seam allowance at the hem and 1.5cm seam allowance down he centre back seam to allow room for the zip to be sewn in. You can either add the seam allowance on to the pattern or add it on once the pattern is pinned to the material (like of have).
6) I decided to make a toile first using calico to test my pattern making skills. So I placed the pattern down lining the straight grain to the selvedges, added the seam allowance then cut out my pieces.
7) The waistband was just a strip of material double the width with a 1cm seam allowance on the length and 1.5 cm at the zip.
Here’s the tested pattern made out if calico:
It fits perfectly :). Now to make it out of the real fabric!
There are a couple of great British Sewing Bee patterns in there, Summer Dress and Pencil skirt. These are only for a limited time so get them quick!
It was a bit tricky to cut the correct size as I am a 12 on the bust, 12/14 on the waist and 14/16 at the hip. Fingers crossed all goes to plan!
I used a rotary cutter to cut the crepe de chine as it was quite slippery, that worked quite well. I also decided not to cut the facings out of the same material as it is very slightly see through. I plan to use a soft cream material for that.
Just awaiting material now 🙂
Whilst watching a film this evening (Made in Dagenham) I decided to research which fabric to buy for the 1940’s Tea Dress sew along with @sewoverit. Here is the results:
It’s a crepe de chine from Fabricland, think I’ll order it tomorrow 🙂 It’ll look quite nice with 3 black cute buttons down the front.
First blog post!!
Think I’m going to attempt a sew along at Sew over it:
Find out more at: http://sewoverit.co.uk/1940s-tea-dress-sewalong/
This weekend I decided to take a look around at the charity shops in town. I came across a plain look frame. After a bit of painting it has now been transformed into a key rack for the house 🙂
It’s been a while since my last post. This is a stupid sock toy made for Charlotte’s third birthday. Happy Birthday xx
This year for Hubby’s birthday I decided to make a Stupid Sock creature (idea taken from the website and book found here).
Brandon wrapped it up and gave it to Dad and named it ‘Daddy Toy’.
Think I need a little more practice on making the mouth but ‘Daddy Toy’ does have his own persona, all be it a little grumpy 😉
For my mothers day present this year I decided to make something in a frame. I went on online to find some inspiration and came up with the following.
A more zoomed in picture.
And for the treats we made millionaires shortbread, a recipe by Mary Berry found on the good food website. I must admit it turned out rather well 🙂
I’m just about to try a slice with a cuppa!