Sew Over It ‘Sew along’ 1940’s Tea Dress Finished!

Last night I finally managed to get round to putting the finishing touches on my Tea Dress and now I can reveal my finished garment … YAY πŸ™‚

louweezcreates.co.uk

#soisewalong 1940’s Tea Dress by LouWeezCreates

My most challenging part was the fitting. Β I can sew/machine sew quite well but I always fall down during the fitting phase…but I persevered and with a little help from my Mum, Hubby and quite a few pins I managed to get the fitting right.

When originally cutting the pattern I realised that my shape was different from the top, waist then hips so I had to ‘wing’ it slightly. Β My bodice (mainly the front) had to be amended in a few areas which then meant that the skirt had to be amended so the seams joined at the waist. Β After getting this area right I then had to slightly amend the arms too to fit the amended bodice.

So here it is:

louweezcreates

#soisewalong 1940’s Tea Dress by LouWeezCreates

louweezcreates.co.uk

#soisewalong 1940’s Tea Dress by LouWeezCreates

louweezcreates.co.uk

#soisewalong 1940’s Tea Dress by LouWeezCreates

louweezcreates.co.uk

#soisewalong 1940’s Tea Dress by LouWeezCreates

louweezcreates.co.uk

#soisewalong 1940’s Tea Dress by LouWeezCreates

louweezcreates.co.uk

#soisewalong 1940’s Tea Dress by LouWeezCreates

louweezcreates.co.uk

#soisewalong 1940’s Tea Dress by LouWeezCreates

This was quite a challenge for me but I did it, yay!

1940's Tea Dress Sewalong

– See more at: http://sewoverit.co.uk/1940s-tea-dress-sewalong/#sthash.vtzOw6d4.dpuf

New pattern just arrived – Coco :)

I’m very excited about my new pattern which has just arrived in the post his morning πŸ™‚

20140301-122849.jpg
It’s a pattern that requires a knit fabric which I have not used or sewn with before. This is my next challenge to take on πŸ™‚

I have to finish my tea dress first which I am making with the Sew Over It ‘Sew along’.

I made a promise to myself to finish a project before I start another as I have way too many unfinished projects round the house. My main problem is the fitting stage. It’s hard to fit your clothes on yourself without help 😐
My Hubby helps out when he can … thanks Zombie! x

Link

Useful info and free pattern link

Useful information based on the Great British Sewing Bee program:

http://www.thesewingdirectory.co.uk/news/2014/02/18/sewing-bee-series-2-epsiode-1-supplies-and-techniques/

Free downloadable sewing pattern (sleeveless top):
http://www.coletterie.com/colette-patterns-news/free-pattern-to-download-the-sorbetto-top

More techniques from GBSB episode 2 (Patterned fabric):
http://www.thesewingdirectory.co.uk/news/2014/02/25/the-great-british-sewing-bee-episode-2/

More Techniques from GBSB episode 3 (Stretch Fabric):
http://www.thesewingdirectory.co.uk/news/2014/03/04/episode-3-the-great-british-sewing-bee/

#SOIsewalong bodice completed

20140223-221046.jpg

20140223-221100.jpg

I’m enjoying the SewOverIt sew along πŸ™‚

I had a few issues with zigzagging the seams as my sewing machine has set sized stitches and the largest zigzag was making the edge of the material (crepe de chine) turn up at the sides. It was fine when zigzagging two pieces of material at the seam, my problem was mainly on single pieces of fabric.

I had to adjust the side of the bust area as it was gaping. But I managed to get there in the end πŸ™‚
Now for the skirt part!

Drafting a pattern from a shop bought skirt

I have an all time favourite skirt that I would to reproduce in different materials. It’s a skater skirt and ‘should’ (she says) be easy enough to recreate!

20140215-132008.jpg

So here’s how I went about attempting this:

1) I laid the skirt down flat on to some kiddie craft paper. I then took my pattern tracer wheel and ran that along the seams. This made a dotted mark along the paper.

2) Using my pattern making ruler and grader’s set square I straightened the lines and made the curves better (not sure how else to word that). The front part to my pattern I folded it in half to make sure it was using the centre front as the fold line.

3) I drew the straight grain parallel to the centre front line and centre back seams. I found the straight grain for the side pattern pieces by folding them in half and drawing the straight grain along that folded line.

4) I then placed the back part of the skirt down and traced those seams, but I found with this particular skirt that it was the same as the front but with a seam where the centre front is which is where the zip would go.

5) I then added a 1cm seam allowance round all seams apart from the centre back (zip seam) and hem. I allowed a 2cm seam allowance at the hem and 1.5cm seam allowance down he centre back seam to allow room for the zip to be sewn in. You can either add the seam allowance on to the pattern or add it on once the pattern is pinned to the material (like of have).

20140215-132809.jpg

6) I decided to make a toile first using calico to test my pattern making skills. So I placed the pattern down lining the straight grain to the selvedges, added the seam allowance then cut out my pieces.

7) The waistband was just a strip of material double the width with a 1cm seam allowance on the length and 1.5 cm at the zip.

Here’s the tested pattern made out if calico:

20140215-133856.jpg

It fits perfectly :). Now to make it out of the real fabric!

Cutting the pattern and material #SOIsewalong

20140215-110229.jpg

It was a bit tricky to cut the correct size as I am a 12 on the bust, 12/14 on the waist and 14/16 at the hip. Fingers crossed all goes to plan!

I used a rotary cutter to cut the crepe de chine as it was quite slippery, that worked quite well. I also decided not to cut the facings out of the same material as it is very slightly see through. I plan to use a soft cream material for that.