Sew Over It ‘Sew along’ 1940’s Tea Dress Finished!

Last night I finally managed to get round to putting the finishing touches on my Tea Dress and now I can reveal my finished garment … YAY 🙂

louweezcreates.co.uk

#soisewalong 1940’s Tea Dress by LouWeezCreates

My most challenging part was the fitting.  I can sew/machine sew quite well but I always fall down during the fitting phase…but I persevered and with a little help from my Mum, Hubby and quite a few pins I managed to get the fitting right.

When originally cutting the pattern I realised that my shape was different from the top, waist then hips so I had to ‘wing’ it slightly.  My bodice (mainly the front) had to be amended in a few areas which then meant that the skirt had to be amended so the seams joined at the waist.  After getting this area right I then had to slightly amend the arms too to fit the amended bodice.

So here it is:

louweezcreates

#soisewalong 1940’s Tea Dress by LouWeezCreates

louweezcreates.co.uk

#soisewalong 1940’s Tea Dress by LouWeezCreates

louweezcreates.co.uk

#soisewalong 1940’s Tea Dress by LouWeezCreates

louweezcreates.co.uk

#soisewalong 1940’s Tea Dress by LouWeezCreates

louweezcreates.co.uk

#soisewalong 1940’s Tea Dress by LouWeezCreates

louweezcreates.co.uk

#soisewalong 1940’s Tea Dress by LouWeezCreates

louweezcreates.co.uk

#soisewalong 1940’s Tea Dress by LouWeezCreates

This was quite a challenge for me but I did it, yay!

1940's Tea Dress Sewalong

– See more at: http://sewoverit.co.uk/1940s-tea-dress-sewalong/#sthash.vtzOw6d4.dpuf

#SOIsewalong bodice completed

20140223-221046.jpg

20140223-221100.jpg

I’m enjoying the SewOverIt sew along 🙂

I had a few issues with zigzagging the seams as my sewing machine has set sized stitches and the largest zigzag was making the edge of the material (crepe de chine) turn up at the sides. It was fine when zigzagging two pieces of material at the seam, my problem was mainly on single pieces of fabric.

I had to adjust the side of the bust area as it was gaping. But I managed to get there in the end 🙂
Now for the skirt part!

Cutting the pattern and material #SOIsewalong

20140215-110229.jpg

It was a bit tricky to cut the correct size as I am a 12 on the bust, 12/14 on the waist and 14/16 at the hip. Fingers crossed all goes to plan!

I used a rotary cutter to cut the crepe de chine as it was quite slippery, that worked quite well. I also decided not to cut the facings out of the same material as it is very slightly see through. I plan to use a soft cream material for that.

Results from fabric research

Whilst watching a film this evening (Made in Dagenham) I decided to research which fabric to buy for the 1940’s Tea Dress sew along with @sewoverit.  Here is the results:

It’s a crepe de chine from Fabricland, think I’ll order it tomorrow 🙂  It’ll look quite nice with 3 black cute buttons down the front.

1940's Tea Dress Sewalong