louweezcreates.co.uk

Flora Dress sew along – Completed! #florasewalong

My Flora Dress Sew along from By Hand London is complete 🙂

louweezcreates.co.uk

Flora Dress Sew along | pattern from By Hand London

I chose to make the Faux Wrap style version which was actually quite tricky.  I felt like I pushed myself out of my comfort zone with this dress.  Although I have been sewing for a few years I would say this year it’s all started to ‘click’.  The dresses I have made this year actually fit me!  I am so happy and proud of myself … YAY! 🙂

I wore this dress out today to the local market to see if I could ‘bag’ myself some fabric bargains.  There a lady approached me and commented how lovely my dress was and asked where I bought it from.  She looked shocked when I mentioned that I had made it myself (Yes! get in there Lou you can make awesome dresses!! – sorry…reality check time).

I love the fullness in the skirt with this dress.  The wrap part on the top is a little gape’y for me but I just wear a camisole type vest thing under so no showage 😉

I will definitely make this dress again.  I think next time I will make the tank top version…watch this space folks! So here’s a few pics of my fab dress 🙂

louweezcreates.co.uk

Flora Dress Sew along | pattern from By Hand London

louweezcreates.co.uk

Flora Dress Sew along | pattern from By Hand London

louweezcreates.co.uk

Flora Dress Sew along | pattern from By Hand London

Link to High Res pic of me in my dress for the By Hand Sew along Competition are  – here and  here

Starting the #florasewalong By Hand London

Last weekend I started on my next challenge the Flora Sewalong with By Hand London. I thought I would try something new and decided to attempt the faux wrap style version.

Print

I made a Toile/Muslin from the bodice pieces first. First I traced off my mashed up sizes from the main pattern on to a roll of kiddie play paper using a pattern tracing wheel. The kiddie paper is great for creating your own pattern on as it’s cheap and fairly thin. Interested? Here’s a link to it – Wilko paper roll. I then used the traced version to cut the calico from. I traced the dart using a tracing wheel and Carbon paper. I then got to work sewing the darts and bodice together for fitting.

Boy was I way off, the apex points were about an inch off of my apex points! After looking at the Sewalong blog I realised that I was badly in need of a SBA (small bust adjustment). I cut my pattern and moved the darts along as the blog suggested. I then picked unpicked my darts and traced new ones ready for fitting number 2. The side bust darts were ok but the darts from the waist just weren’t right. I unpicked the waist darts and pinned the darts by hand on my dress form. The were quite different from the patterns darts but at least it fit me. I also had to pull in the seams on the shoulders which pulled the pattern up so I guess when cutting the pattern from my main material I will need to add a little extra for seam allowance at the waist. Better to have more than less!!

I have now traced the dart and shoulder adjustments to my paper pattern version to make the main fabric from.

So here’s my toile so far:
louweezcreates.co.uk