Home made pattern with circle skirt

Evening All 🙂

It’s been sooo long since I blogged last.  I’ve sewn quite a few garments since my last blog post, most of them have been successful, some not 😱.  

So here’s the latest one.  I managed to get a shot of it in the garden this afternoon, we had such lovely weather in London today 🙂 


The material used is a wool type of fabric which I bought from my local market for my usual £2/metre 🙋🏻. It is quite a heavy fabric so not quite to suitable for the warmer weather but it hangs really well.   The skirt is a full circle skirt made using the instructions from the By Hand London tool .  The bodice was created from a home made pattern using a body block made through a crafty class “PATTERNMAKING BASICS: THE BODICE SLOPER“.    

 I decided to do something different with the the darts. Instead of having the usual waist dart (vertical) and bust dart (horizontal) I combined all darts to a diagonal bust dart.  I think it works quite well and it’s nice to try something different with each garment you make, To test yourself a little further each time.

Since making the Betty dress from SewOverIt last year I must admit I still use the tecnique used to sew the facing onto the arm holes and neck line. It’s full proof every time. Cheers for that Lisa at SewOverIt 💃🏻

It skirt flows really well, I’m really happy with it 🙂

I know…I’m daft! 😘


M4826 bodice with BHL circle skirt Combo

Hi Everyone,

I have had this dress made for a while but have just been soo busy lately with x2 children, LegoLand, Sonisphere festival, office parties and more that I have not had time to blog about it.  I have about 20 minutes now so this may be a little on the brief side….

I’ve had the McCall’s pattern M4826 for a while now.  I love the bodice/halterneck that this pattern has but not so keen on the gathered skirt. So I thought I would try something a little different.  I had some Cherry fabric (from fabricland.co.uk) that I had been keeping back for the right dress.  Now seemed the appropriate time 🙂  When I have a plan/idea in my head I just have to get on with it straight away!

I traced off the bodice pattern pieces on to my faithful wilko kiddie craft paper.  I made a Toile/Muslin of the bodice pieces as I needed to get the fit right.  This needed a little adjusting.  I then transferred the adjustments to the traced pattern pieces for future versions 🙂

Aftermaking the bodice/halterneck I used the circle skirt app from By Hand London to help me find the right dimensions for the circle skirt.  As I my fabric was only 45″ wide I could not get the length I really wanted so it kinda came out as a skater type skirt in the end.  Lou future note ** quite tricky to make a circle skirt with a 45″ wide fabric…next time try a different skirt solution** 😉

So here it is:



M4826 bodice with circle skirt

My shoes are Jelly shoes by Mel Women’s Popstar Synthetic Mary Janes


My Betty Dress by Sew Over It #SOIsewalong

Hello Everyone,

I finally found time to blog about my Betty Dress which I made as part if the Sew Over It Sew Along challenge.

There were a few moments where I thought I would not finish my dress in time.  With the school year drawing to a close my calendar is full! I’ve had two sports days, the School fete, a music evening, dance competitions and to top it all off my four year old has chicken pox!  But I managed it…phew!

The fabric I used for my ‘Betty’ was bought from the local market and was a super bargain at just £2/meter (150cm wide).  I bought 3 meters and still had some left to spare (maybe I’ll make a matching hair bow or bag??)

When cutting the fabric I decided that I would not cut the full skirt length from the pattern. From experience I usually end up taking about 1.5/2 inches off the length.  So me and my trusted measuring tape decided that this was a wise decision to shorten the length here too.


Betty Dress creation stages

I really enjoyed this sew along, it taught me a few new ways of stitching the facing on to the bodice.  I must say I like this technique where you do not sew the shoulder seam until nearing the end.  It worked very well with my dress!!  Click here to see how this technique is sewn.

So here are a few pictures of my ‘Betty’ with and without petticoat 🙂

To vote for your favourite dress click here

Oh, and if your interested in my shoes they are Jelly type shoes from Mel in Blue 🙂 you can buy them from Amazon here: MEL Womens Popstar Platform


LouWeezCreates Betty for SOI Sew along


LouWeezCreates Betty for SOI Sew along


LouWeezCreates Betty for SOI Sew along


LouWeezCreates Betty for SOI Sew along